If it doesn't count for Christ, it doesn't count.

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Sometimes you step up by stepping out

Big vote coming up here in the State of Mississippi.  We are going to vote on an amendment to our State Constitution that would define "personhood" as beginning at the moment of fertilization of an egg.  It is a controversial matter, to be sure. I am, however, surprised at where some of the controversy comes from.

I have stopped and given thought to some of those opinions that differ from mine, particularly as they come from those who I know to be my Christian brothers and sisters. I immediately weed out the ones with labels such as :"idiots", "haters", and so on.  I'm not going to give much thought to an opinion that has to be propped up by such things.  (By the way, this does not strengthen your position, it weakens it.)  And the ones I do consider have not changed my mind.  It just helps to know why someone feels the way they do.  And reasonable arguments compel me to examine my own conclusions, and the reasons for them, more closely. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and, indeed, we all have one.  You won't be seeing mine in this post. It is no secret. In fact, it is posted . . . often and prominently . . . on another venue.  The real truth is, though, that my opinion doesn't matter. And, if you are a Christian brother or sister, neither does yours!

"My" opinion is born of self, and is, therefore, in any form, at worst sinful, or at best worthless. I equate it with my own worthless "good works".  I cannot be good or do good apart from God.  My own thoughts apart from God are equally worthless except that they may lead me to a God directed conclusion.  "But, we have brains," you say. "Shouldn't we use them for thinking?"

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  Galatians 2:20

This is my "life verse".  "My life verse" . . . it's not as big as it sounds . . . or as big as it should be. . . because I fall so short so often.  But, I strive for this to be the ultimate truth of my life.  I know many others who do a much better job of it than I do. The fact is, if, as Christians, we have died to self and we take up our cross daily, then we have no agenda of our own. God guides our actions, our words, our thoughts, and even our votes.

Sometimes we find it hard to discern God's direction for our lives.  But, I think that is mostly because we make it so hard.  "What do you want me to do here, Lord?" is a question that I often find myself in near agony over.  One thing, though, is that the answer, or a confirmation of the answer, can always be found in His Word.

The issue before us Mississippians at the polls Tuesday is no exception.  I don't know whether God ever intended that something like a definition for the beginning of life should ever be held to a vote. Who are we to even be voting on such a thing as the timing of our Creator's great gift of life?  The more I think about it, the more I wish this particular initiative were not even on the ballot here in Mississippi or elsewhere. But, it is.

I'm no prophet. I'm not about to try to tell anyone what God wants us to do on this vote. As for God's teaching on the existence of life in the womb, I believe that His Word is very clear on the matter. Nonetheless, I pray that I dare not enter the voting booth on Tuesday to express my own thoughts and my own opinions.

Research it from all sides.  But, above all, spend at least the same amount of time on your knees "researching" God's guidance. Be ready and willing, no matter what your present stance on the issue, for God to change that if He so desires. Do not fear the workings of man should this vote go one way or the other.  God is sovereign. We must seek only to do His will rather that our want.  

I pray that no Christian man or woman will vote their own conscious on Tuesday.  I pray that we will, in ways we have never before experienced, seek and receive God's guidance on this matter, and that as we mark the ballot or pull the lever it will be as if the very Hand of God Himself is casting the vote, and that rather than voting our own conscious we will, indeed, be voting the will of God!

Connected,
Dennis

Here's your video. Somehow, it seems to fit. I hope you meet God's will every moment of your life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment